** Applications for vExperts of the year 2021 are open until January 9th, 2021 – Award announcements will go out via email on January 19th, 2020 **
I am honoured to be part of the vExpert and vExpert NSX subprogram for two consecutive years (2019 and 2020) now, it has not only provided me the platform to share my knowledge/blogs with the further wider vCommunity but has also introduced me to many skilled and talented individuals to learn from. Therefore, I thought it would be a good opportunity to write a blog on expanding the vExpert Program for many of the aspirants out there. Let’s begin with…
“vExpert” – What is it?
VMware vExpert program is VMware’s global evangelism and advocacy program – It is designed to put VMware’s marketing resources towards your advocacy efforts.
A vExpert Badge is provided to specific individuals (not companies) over a span of one year, as an acknowledgement of their contributions and “giving back” to the community i.e. going beyond their call of duty of a day job.
Employees from within VMware, VMware Partners and VMware Customers are eligible. The vExpert application considers community activities from the previous year as well as the current year’s (only for 2nd half applications) activities in determining who gets the award. After acceptance, the program monitors that you are still active in the path you chose to apply for.
Application Acceptance Criteria:
If you are actively sharing your VMware knowledge and contributing back to the community by going above and beyond your day job, then you may be eligible.
There are a number of ways to share your knowledge and engage with the community:
- Book authoring
- Magazine articles
- CloudCred task writing
- Active in Facebook groups
- Forum (VMTN as well as other non VMware) platforms
- Public speaking
- VMUG leadership
- Videos and so on
How to Apply?
A few years ago, vExpert.vmware.com was setup as a centralized location for all aspirants and existing vExperts to ease the process of applications and other logistics of making use of the benefits, NDA, etc. If you think you are “giving back” to the community and have done so in the last year, you should start by creating an account.
I would also suggest going through the link below before making your application, as it provides a good Example Application that the panelists expect:
If you are unsure, you could approach any of the vExpert Pro’s, which is a subcategory (described later) of the vExpert program. vExpert Pro Badge holders are the individuals, who motivate and assist others to get on the ladder, along with mentoring, training and assisting with an vExpert Application.
You can lookup the vExpert Pro directory to find your mentor, on the link below:
vExpert Sub Programs:
The vExpert subprograms are only available when you are a vExpert first.
The subprogram acknowledges the contribution by individuals specific to a certain specialty and allows the use of the subprogram badge for one year in addition to the vExpert Badge.
The subprogram categories are as follows (feel free to click on the respective links to know more):
- vExpert Cloud Management
- vExpert End User Computing
- vExpert HCX
- vExpert Security
- vExpert NSX
- vExpert PRO
- vExpert Cloud Provider
- vExpert Application Modernization
- vExpert EUC
Applications for VMware vExpert Subprogram Badge can be made via the following link:
vExpert Program Benefits:
- vExpert certificate signed by our CEO.
- Private #Slack channel for technical discussions and know how.
- Private forums on communities.vmware.com.
- Permission to use the vExpert logo on cards, website, etc for one year.
- Access to a private directory for networking, etc.
- Exclusive gifts from various VMware partners.
- Private webinars with VMware partners as well as NFRs.
- Access to private betas (subject to admission by beta teams).
- 365-day eval licenses for most products for home lab / cloud providers.
- Private pre-launch briefings via our blogger briefing pre-VMworld (subject to admission by product teams)
- Blogger early access program for vSphere and some other products.
- Featured in a public vExpert online directory.
- Access to vetted VMware & Virtualization content for your social channels.
- Yearly vExpert parties at both VMworld US and VMworld Europe events.
- Identification as a vExpert at both VMworld US and VMworld EU.
- Exclusive opportunities for Live Events or other cool stuff – These are not only hosted by VMware, but also other vendors that want to share knowledge (or goodies!) to the vExperts.
That’s it, and good luck! with your application .